Tuesday, January 15, 2008

JOHHNY PODRES - OCTOBER 4, 1955

SYMBOLIC FAIRWELL FROM A GREAT DODGER -- #42
*******************
Just heard "Johnny" has passed away.
Podres, the 1st left-hander that made me wish I was a left-hander when i pitched.
Loved him. At the time, my first real hero.
Not too many original Brooklyn Dodgers left. A little piece of Brooklyn just passed away.
CARL FORDE
****************************
C. F. -
JOHNNY CAN NEVER DIE - HE IS THE GUY ON THE MOUND WHEN I RAN HOME FROM P.S. 44 TO SEE THE LAST GAME OF THE WORLD SERIES - THE ONLY REAL WORLD SERIES - IT DOES NOT NEED A DATE -- IT WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT COUNTED, IF YOU LIVED IN BROOKLYN.
I WILL NEVER FORGET GOING TO THE SECOND FLOOR WINDOW AND JUST YELLING OUT TO ALL THOSE OF THROOP AVENUE, THAT THE DODGER WON THE WORLD SERIES - IT WAS THE BEST FEELING I EVER HAD, WITHOUT BEING IN A BEDROOM.
THE NUMBER OF FOLKS WHO SAW THE BROOKLYN DODGERS, IS DECLINING AT A PRETTY FAST RATE AND YOU ARE RIGHT, THE NUMBER OF BROOKLYN DODGER PLAYERS IS FADING, JUST AS FAST OR FASTER.
GAFF
************************
The passing of Podres is indeed a sad moment. Podres had just turned 23, was only a mediocre pitcher during the 1955 season, but he came up big, winning the 3rd game when Brooklyn was down 0-2, and of course, the finale at Yankee Stadium.
The borough never experienced a better day than October 4, 1955, before or hence.
He also won a game in each of the next two Series victories that the Dodgers had (1959, 1963) although they were LA Dodgers then.
There are only a few Dodgers from the 55 Team left - Koufax- a rookie at the time, Carl Erskine, Don Newcombe, Roger Craig, Don Zimmer and Duke Snider -- if there are any others I missed, add them in the comment space below.
RANDY JAMES
*****************
Twenty-five years ago Johnny Podres pitched that game, and I could finally laugh at all the Yankee fans in my neighborhood.
I was working at Fenway Park for the summer as a security guard--supplementing my teacher's salary.
Who do I spy but Don Newcombe, watching the game by himself. He told me that nobody knew who he was, I used my authority and got him in the clubhouse.
(Nobody knew who he was? Nobody on that red sox team could carry his glove.)
In the clubhouse at the time-- between innings--was Johnny Podres, working as Don Zimmer's pitching coach.He let out a whoop and he and Newk embraced for quite a while.
A moment I will always remember having spent my early years traveling with a brown paper bag of sandwiches to Ebbets Field to watch one of the greatest assembled teams of all time.
Paul HENNING
***********************
It brings tears to my eyes.
I can still see myself standing on top of the garbage cans in my front yard yelling at the top of my lungs, "WE WON, WE WON".
MAML
******************
Running home for end of game..Vince Scully /RedBarber from every window with sounds of game..Finally Bums Win the sound of horns thru out Utica Avenue all night long.. Joe's Deli on President Street giving out hot dogs all nite long..All the years of walking to Ebbetts Field with 50 Ice cream sticks for 50 cent bleacher seat..Waiting for Pee Wee and Erskine to pull up to parking lot from their homes in Bay Ridge before each game.. Watching Double header with Campy catching both ends in his Flannels.. seeing Newcomb winning first game and pitch hitting home run second game..Watching Jackie run like the wind driving Maglie and Ford nuts..Seeing Willie Mays for the first time and truly realizing that the sport will continue with all these new great baseball players from all races,,Larry King writes about seeing Jackie Robinson for the first time in 1947 wearing the "TIDE WHITE" Dodgers Flannels with his Dark Skin being so different then all the others.. And King prayed for Jackie to do well thru all his early struggles not because of race because he was a Dodger.... Hard to imagine what Jackie went thru.. Podres/ Campy/ Jackie/ Pee Wee/ Gilbert Ray/ Furillo/Roe/ Rube/Junior/Cox/Labine ALL GONE........
PLASTIC MAN
*******************
When the Dodgers and Podres won it in 1955, I grabbed my change jar and skated off to Al's Candy Store to join in the celebration with the rest of my friends from the Dead End Block of East 38th Street in Brooklyn. The only pal in our crowd missing was the sole Giants fan on the block. There were no Yankee fans.

We also made it a point to bike by Gil Hodges house on Bedford Avenue any time we were over that way. His particular block on Bedford Avenue is now called
Gil Hodges Way and the the local Public School is the Gil Hodges School.


John D. - SFC ' 67
************

No comments: